For many Android geeks weekends are for flashing Custom ROM using TWRP, but sometimes your phone stops working, stucks in a bootloop, or refuse to boot—when this happens the love for stock firmware rises again.
This guide is for Oneplus 5T users who out of curiosity installed a custom Android ROM using a custom recovery (likely TWRP) and want to revert to the stock Firmware (in this case OxygenOS).
Step 1. Grab knife
Open browser on your computer, head to this Oneplus support page and download the ROM on your computer. Here the stable and open beta ROM will display.
Click on any stock ROM link and it will open another page where you’ll see a download icon to save the ROM file to your computer. Note that this file is an archive (zip) and is full ROM package.
Step 2. Use a Type-C cable
Remove the type-c cable from the power adapter and put it on your phone and computer.
Step 3. Boot into recovery
Press the power key to switch off your phone, and the instantly press Volume Down along with power button. Put your phone into recovery mode, because it will allow flashing ROM packages to the phone.
Step 4. Flashing the ROM
From here you can use two approaches the first is putting the ROM file in internal storage and the second is using ADB commands to sideload a ROM file from computer to phone.
(if) Unable to boot to your phone!
If you unable to boot to your phone, you can simultaneously press the Power+Vol down button to open recovery mode and when that happens your phone will mount storage to your computer. If your device is encrypted or unable to Move the ROM file to your internal storage, follow this method.
Install Stock ROM on Oneplus 5T using ABD
- Use the Step 4 to boot into recovery mode and from there select “Install from ADB” and connect your Phone to the computer using Type-c cable.
- You need ADB tool (link) on your computer to push the OTA (Full stock ROM) to your oneplus 5T.
- Download the ADB tool and install/extract on your desktop and move the OTA/Stock ROM into the same folder and for convenience rename it to “5t.zip”. Move the adb folder to Windows C: root folder, it should look like this C://ABD.
- Click on start menu open command prompt as admin, type cd/ and then cd /adb to move to the ADB tool directory.
- Type adb device to check if your phone is connected or not.
- Type adb sideload 5t.zip It will take couple of minutes and you’ll be able to see the process percentage on the same command prompt window. For me it roughly took 5 Minutes to sideload a full OxygenOS beta ROM.
Phone should automatically restart and then you can keep continue using your phone. However, if you wanted a clean install, then go back to the recovery and select “Wipe Data and cache”.